fingerlakespermaculture - Fwd: [village-plus & tree] seeking garden harvest measurers

  • From: Karryn Olson-Ramanujan <kolson AT ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [village-plus & tree] seeking garden harvest measurers
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:46:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Heather Scott <heatherfreak AT yahoo.com>
Date: March 27, 2013 1:35:25 PM EDT

Hello Ecovillage gardeners!
Are you curious to know just how much your community garden plot produces?

My name is Heather Scott, and I used to live with the Nolans in Song! I currently work in the Cornell horticulture department as part of the Food Dignity project. This project is studying the local foods movement and how communities are contributing to food security. It is in five counties around the US, from Oakland, California to Brooklyn, New York! ( for more information, see www.fooddignity.org)

Our piece of the project is measuring how much produce is typically grown in community garden plots. We ran a pilot study last year with THIRTEEN stellar Ithaca and Dryden gardeners. They measured their garden crops all summer long. Most gardeners reported that it was interesting and illuminating to see just how much they could grow. This year we'd love to recruit even more--our target is THIRTY garden researchers!

 Garden researchers will receive:

--a digital kitchen scale
--access to harvest data
--a small research stipend after the conclusion of the season ($50)
--cover crop seeds

Please contact me if you're interested in participating, and pass the word around!

Thanks for your help,
Heather Scott

607.255.6503 lab
917.453.9539 cell

  • Fwd: [village-plus & tree] seeking garden harvest measurers, Karryn Olson-Ramanujan, 03/27/2013