fingerlakespermaculture - Support Research on Temperate Forest Farming

  • From: Steve Gabriel <steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Support Research on Temperate Forest Farming
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:48:58 -0400

HELP US DOCUMENT FOREST FARMS FOR OUR BOOK!
www.FarmingTheWoods.com

We (Ken Mudge & Steve Gabriel) are excited about Forest Farming. So excited, in fact, that we are writing a book about it through Chelsea Green Publishing with an expected release of Spring 2014.

Forest Farming is an agroforestry practice of growing non-timber crops under the canopy of an existing forest. The practice is both old and new, as historically many traditional cultures around the world have gained their sustenance through forest-based ecosystems.

Forest farming offers woodlot owners the opportunity to grow a wide variety of unique and high-value fruits, nuts, mushrooms, medicinal plants, and more. The income generation potential is very high for some crops (shiitake mushrooms and ginseng, for example), while others are more useful on a home scale.

We want to visit and document many real world examples of Forest Farming in the Eastern and Midwestern US. We will interview forest farmers, document their sites, and write up case studies. Much of this information will be presented in the book, but also available as a free online map and database resource at FarmingtheWoods.com.

These free tools will foster connection and collaboration among all who are learning to farm the woods.

Your generous contribution helps us with travel and research of case studies. The face-to-face interviews and onsite examination of forest farmers and their land will provide crucial information and learned wisdom for the book and our website.

Your gift also pays for the development of the free online database, map, and listserv. The book will be for sale, but the online resources will be a free, available to anyone interested in farming the woods.

SEE OUR VIDEO ON THE PROJECT HERE: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-document-forest-farms-for-our-book/x/428031?website_name=forestfarmingbook

Thanks for your consideration,
Steve Gabriel & Ken Mudge

--
I am working on a book! www.FarmingTheWoods.com

www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org
607.527.0607
steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org

  • Support Research on Temperate Forest Farming, Steve Gabriel, 03/10/2013