fingerlakespermaculture - Wanted: Feedback on Pattern Languages

  • From: Steve Gabriel <steve AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Wanted: Feedback on Pattern Languages
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:52:57 -0500

Dear Permaculture Friends:

Writing a book really makes one ask a number of questions.

Yes, I am writing a book with Cornell Professor Ken Mudge on the practice of Forest Farming. (http://FarmingtheWoods.com.) While I thought I would mainly be writing and editing at this point, I've actually spent most of my time in the past few months discovering more questions, researching answers, and adding additional sections and chapters. It continues to grow!

One of our key approaches to writing is that we base our words in experience, in research, and in case studies of actual sites around the US that are making forest farming work. We are mere synthesizers of the amazing work of so many people past and present. Like many things in life, it takes a community to write a book.

To this end, we are looking for feedback from the permaculture community on how you currently use pattern languages in your work, and what potential you see for the future.

If you are interested in this topic, please take a moment to read the article in full at my website (http://agroforestrysolutions.blogspot.com/2013/02/every-time-i-come-across-thepattern.html).

At the end of the article, you'll find a link to a comments section on the book website, where we hope you'll help engage in a community dialogue about pattern languages. Your thoughts and quotes will help us shape our thinking, and our writing.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Gabriel

--
www.FingerLakesPermaculture.org
607.527.0607

  • Wanted: Feedback on Pattern Languages, Steve Gabriel, 02/12/2013