fingerlakespermaculture - Spring Pickling: DIY Fermentation Workshop

  • From: Rachel Firak <rfirak AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Spring Pickling: DIY Fermentation Workshop
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:24:50 -0400

Join Ithacan for a hands-on fermentation workshop!

We'll gather to learn the basics of pickling vegetables through the process of lacto-fermentation*. We'll also make some of our own pickled foods to take home.

We'll make two ferments: a traditional pickle and a spring chutney or salsa with seasonal, ecologically produced, and locally-available ingredients.

When: May 12, 2012 from 9am to 11:30am
Where: House of Katie Quinn-Jacobs, 52 Sodom Rd, Ithaca (Map)
Max # of participants: 6
Cost: ~$5-7 for veggies and supplies
Bring your own: 1 glass pint jar and 1 glass quart jar (if you have them)
RSVP to: rfirak AT gmail.com

We'll start off learning the basics of preserving foods with lacto-fermentation, using beneficial bacteria (probiotics) to create healthy, live foods. We'll touch briefly on health and safety of fermented foods, and then move into the hands-on portion, where participants will gain experience creating their own fermented pickles. Participants will leave with an understanding of fermentation, plus two jars of vegetable dishes made in class. A light mid-morning snack will be provided.

This gathering is food-allergy and special-diet friendly. Please RSVP to rfirak AT gmail.com and include any dietary needs you have.

Participants will split the cost of veggies and supplies at the workshop (cost will not exceed $7).

* Lacto-fermentation= lactic acid fermentation, using bacteria that produce lactic acid as a preserving agent.

--
Rachel Firak
New Farmer Training Coordinator

Helping diverse learners develop the skills, knowledge and access to resources they need to build more equitable and sustainable local food systems

  • Spring Pickling: DIY Fermentation Workshop, Rachel Firak, 04/30/2012