fingerlakespermaculture - Sandor Katz at Ithaca College, Monday, April 2

  • From: Kelly Dietz <kdietz AT ithaca.edu>
  • To: Finger Lakes Permaculture <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Sandor Katz at Ithaca College, Monday, April 2
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:59:02 -0400

"Reclaiming Our Food: Grassroots Food Activism," a talk by Sandor Ellix Katz

Monday, April 2, 12-1pm

Taughannock Falls Room, Ithaca College Campus Center

The talk is free and open to the public.

Sandor Ellix Katz is the author of the acclaimed books, "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved" (see below) and "Wild Fermentation," among others. Since his diagnosis of HIV in the 1980s led him to connect food, health and justice, Katz’s activism has centered on local, sustainable, healthful and just food systems. He is also widely respected as an expert in fermentation of all kinds of food and beverages. Katz's writing has also appeared in The Nation, The Fifth Estate, OutWeek, Communities Magazine, and RFD: A Country Journal for Queer Folks Everywhere.

The talk is co-sponsored by the Politics Department, Sociology Department and Center for LBGT Education, Outreach, and Services.

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT SANDOR ELLIX KATZ:

Katz’s website: http://www.wildfermentation.com/

Read a New Yorker piece on Katz’s role in the "underground food movement" at http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/11/22/101122fa_fact_bilger

Listen to a segment of NPR's Science Friday featuring Katz with authors Michael Pollan and Marion Nestle athttp://mediacloud.libsyn.com/sciencefriday/scifri-2007081024.mp3 .

Read his interview with the ACT UP Oral History Project reflecting on AIDS Activism at http://www.actuporalhistory.org/interviews/interviews_10.html#katz .

Check out his latest book, “The Art of Fermentation” at
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_art_of_fermentation/

About his book "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved":

Food in America is cheap and abundant—and also often bland, devoid of nutritional value, and produced without regard for anything beyond the corporate profit margin. As consumers, we opt for convenience, but the tradeoff is that we know almost nothing about how our food is grown, where it comes from, or whether it’s good for us. If we are what we eat, then our bodies and souls are largely at the mercy of agribusiness, commodity traders, and advertising executives thousands of miles from our homes and a world away from our real needs. “The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved” takes on Big Food by profiling grassroots activists who challenge the way we think about food. From community-supported local farmers to raw milk producers forced to fly under the radar of Big Government, this book shows how ordinary people can find their way out of the corporate food maze and take direct responsibility for their own health and nutrition.

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Kelly Dietz at kdietz AT ithaca.edu. We ask that requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible.

  • Sandor Katz at Ithaca College, Monday, April 2, Kelly Dietz, 03/27/2012