fingerlakespermaculture - Tomorrow - Aquatic Insects & Water Quality FREE Event

  • From: Becky Bowen <beckybowen27 AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Tomorrow - Aquatic Insects & Water Quality FREE Event
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:59:56 -0400

Just a reminder about this FREE event tomorrow night with the Community Science Institute:

Our Finger Lakes streams are full of life, yet under threat. From hydrilla to hydrofracking, our waters are at risk of degradation for many reasons. The Community Science Institute (CSI) and its volunteers look to aquatic insects as indicators of stream health. Benthic Macroinvertebrates (BMI) are small organisms that live at the bottom of our streams. Aquatic insect communities are like living report cards of water quality.

Join CSI for its 8th Annual Volunteer Symposium, "Tell Me Why BMI: Insects & The Language of Water Quality ". The Symposium will take place on Tuesday, March 20th from 6-8 PM at the Tompkins County Human Services Building at 320 W. State/MLK Street in Ithaca. This year's program will feature short talks by local BMI experts, CSI staff and volunteers, as well as microscopes for viewing BMI specimens, unique underwater video footage and more.  Discover what insects tell us about the health of Six Mile Creek, Taughannock Creek, Fall Creek and other local streams and find out how to get involved!

Founded in 2002, the Community Science Institute is a nonprofit organization that seeks to empowers citizens to monitor, understand and protect their natural surroundings. CSI operates a certified water quality testing lab that analyzes water samples from streams and private wells throughout the Cayuga Lake watershed.

###

For more information contact:

Becky Bowen, Outreach Coordinator

Community Science Institute

607-257-6606

becky AT communityscience.org

  • Tomorrow - Aquatic Insects & Water Quality FREE Event, Becky Bowen, 03/19/2012