fingerlakespermaculture - biodiesel in an oil furnace?

  • From: Shira Golding <shiragolding AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu>
  • Subject: biodiesel in an oil furnace?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:32:17 -0500

hey folks,

we have an old oil furnace and we'd like to try running it on biodiesel. does anyone have any experience doing this? from what i've read online it's best to do some kind of oil/biodiesel mixture but that if the furnace is converted in some way we could get away with minimal or even no oil at all. any tips would be much appreciated and we could potentially pay or barter with someone to do a conversion...

we're having a wood pellet stove installed, but we want to continue using the furnace as a back-up source of heat, especially if we are traveling and need to keep the pipes from bursting in the winter.

- shira :)

Shira Golding Evergreen
shiraevergreen AT gmail.com
http://www.shirari.com

  • biodiesel in an oil furnace?, Shira Golding, 11/14/2011