fingerlakespermaculture - AQUAPONICS CLASS ITHACA Sun. Oct 30th

  • From: Steve Austin <steve_austin AT earthlink.net>
  • To: List Serve for Fingerlakes Permaculture <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: AQUAPONICS CLASS ITHACA Sun. Oct 30th
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:37:09 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Introduction to Aquaponics
The technique, known as "aquaponics," integrates fish farming (aquaculture) and hydroponics agriculture within a closed, symbiotic loop—the fish waste provides the fertilizer where as the plants act as water purifiers. The idea is to maximize food production while curtailing environmentally harmful and potentially polluting outputs—a sustainable way to provide a continuous supply of healthy, fresh food.

In this class we’ll go over basics of how to build your own Aquaponic system from a 10 gallon Aquarium to a 1000 gallon raceway.  I have a 100 gallon working system in my back yard greenhouse as an example of how you can quickly build your own system.  We will also look at slides of some systems that I have visited over the years.  There will be plenty of time for discussion and perhaps some help with your own design ideas.  All levels welcome.  Class size is limited and there are only a few spots left.   Please RSVP  via e-mail for the location.

Who: Steve Austin,  steve_austin AT earthlink.net
Where:  Next to Collegetown, Ithaca, NY  RSVP for directions and to reserve a spot
When:  Oct. 30th 2011 Sunday 1-4pm

Cost: Free

An Ithaca Free Skool Class