corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] The background to Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] The background to Galatians
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:52:54 -0700

Warm greetings to everyone.

The Galatians were thinking that Paul was an envoy of the Jerusalem church leaders. Now, envoys in the ancient world were expected to represent those who sent them. The almost universal assumption is that the rumor in Galatia was that Paul was a BAD envoy in that he had not followed the Law-affirming stance of the Jerusalem church leaders. I suggest the opposite: the rumor in Galatia was that Paul had been a GOOD envoy in that he had loyally repeated the Law-free gospel that the Jerusalem church leaders had given him, and had done so without believing it. I argue the case on my blog here:

http://paulandco-workers.blogspot.com/

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this hypothesis.

Richard Fellows
Vancouver.

  • [Corpus-Paul] The background to Galatians, Richard Fellows, 04/02/2010