corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Paul, the Gentiles and lost Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: house_of blonde <house_of_blonde AT yahoo.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Paul, the Gentiles and lost Israel
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 19:02:45 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings corpus-paul list members!

My name is S. John and this is my first message to the
list.

I am currently studying for a debate wherein my
"Anglo-Israel" opponent claims that Paul's Gentile
believers were actually "lost" Israelites of the Ten
Tribes. Rooted in this assertion is the claim that the
Gospel was only to Israelites due to Christ's claim
that "I come only to the lost sheep of the house of
Israel" in Mat 15:24. I am arguing against this
position with the claim that the Gentiles were
non-Israelites and that Christ's statement in Mat
15:24 was amended to include "all" ethnos after He
rose from the dead and stated "all" ethnos to be
baptized. I base my claim on the many items of
scripture where Paul - and Christ - clearly
distinguishes between Israelites and Gentiles (also
including Isaiah 56 for OT prophecy of adding in
non-Israelites to God's people).

I am currently in the process of building a rebuttal
and thought I would post some items I am refuting and
see if anyone has any comments.

1st alleged "proof" that Paul was speaking to
Israelites whom he considered to be Gentiles:

Paul's use of "our fathers" and "our father Abraham"
when speaking to the Gentiles.

My opponent claims that Paul recognizes the Gentiles
to be Israelites with these statements.

2nd alleged "proof" that Paul was speaking to
Israelites whom he considered to be Gentiles:

Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the
Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
Rom 9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them
my people, which were not my people; and her beloved,
which was not beloved.
Rom 9:26 And it shall come to pass, [that] in the
place where it was said unto them, Ye [are] not my
people; there shall they be called the children of the
living God.

My opponent asserts that the verse above shows the
Gentiles to be the northern Israelites of Hosea.

These are the two most common claims I am running into
so far.

I am interested in hearing some rebuttals to these
verses.

Thanks,
S. John