corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:49:58 -0500

Richard,

It may be a good idea to look in to the matter of just who, or what areas,
were subject to sabbatical year planting prohibitions,
and which were not. If I remember correctly, provisions regarding tithes and
such applied only to the land of Israel, which in the
1st century was restricted to Judea, and even there was probably further
restricted to areas that were not in the possession of
Greek colonies (there were a few) or gentile landowners.

I believe that Galilee was not even subject to the sabbatical year
prohibition. You are probably aware that a comparison between the
two accounts of Gaius' attempt to erect his statue in the temple (Josephus
and Philo), some statements refer to a fear that the
Sabbatical year would allow many to gather in mass in violent opposition, and
others that suggest that the Syrian governor Petronius
was anxious for planting to resume so tribute could be paid. The problem is
that Judaea would have been exempt from tribute in a
sabbatical year.

If a sabbatical year was mandatory in both Judea and Galilee, who would
Petronius have expected to be returning to the planting of
crops in order to pay tribute if the decree was rescinded, as he promised
Gaius? No one, because they would all have been prohibited
from planting anyways. If the sabbatical year rule was in effect in Judea but
not in Galilee, then we could expect to find *both*
masses of idle workers to oppose the attempt in Judea *and* a temporary lack
of planting in Galilee due to the masses of people who
left their fields to protest before Petronius, but who would be able to
return to the task if the danger to the temple was obviated.

So, in short:

In Judea: Subject to sabbatical year law. Land is fallow on
account of a sabbatical year. Danger to Rome is not so
much loss of tribute, since tribute was temporarily suspended in sabbatical
years anyways, but that of violent opposition by idle
agricultural masses.

In Galilee: Not subject to Sabbatical year law. Land is ready to
be planted, but planting is interrupted by the masses
of people who left their fields to protest before the governor of Syria. The
danger to Rome is interruption of tribute. If the
situation could be diffused, the masses of protesters could return to work
and the tetrarchy would be in a better position to pay
its full tribute.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio USA

PS: Are you aware that R Eisenman treats the possibility that Paul was as a
possible grain buyer for Queen Helena of Adiabene?