corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Sabbatical years and Paul's collections
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:57:17 -0800

Steve Black wrote:
<<What evidence is there that Sabbatical years were observed in Palestine (or anywhere, for that matter)? I was under the impression that the observance of this rite was in doubt, and it would be helpful to know reasons for thinking otherwise...>>

Hi Steve. Are you thinking about Jubilees? It is generally agreed that Sabbatical years were observed in Palestine. The evidence comes from Josephus, the Rabbis, and some archaeological finds. I don't have all the details and my libraries are closed this week, but here are some Josephus passages:

... that year on which the Jews use to rest came on; for the Jews observe this rest every seventh year, as they do every seventh day... (Antiquities 13:8:1)

Caius Caesar, imperator the second time, hath ordained, That all the country of the Jews, excepting Joppa, do pay a tribute yearly for the city of Jerusalem, excepting the seventh, which they call the Sabbatical Year, because thereon they neither receive the fruits of their trees, nor do they sow their land......
.... that Hyrcanus, the son of Alexander, and his sons, have as tribute of that city, from those that occupy the land, for the country, and for what they export every year to Sidon, twenty thousand six hundred and seventy-five modii every year, the seventh year, which they call thy Sabbatic Year, excepted; whereon they neither plough, nor receive the product of their trees.  (Antiquities 14:10:6)

... and while they were distressed by famine and the want of necessaries, for this happened to be a Sabbatic year. (Antiquities 14:16:2)

... nor was there any end of the miseries he brought upon them ; and this distress was in part occasioned by the covetousness of the prince regent, who was still in want of more, and in part by the Sabbatic Year, which was still going on, and forced the country to lie still uncultivated since we are forbidden to sow the land in that year. (Antiquities 15:1:2)

I hope this helps, and I hope you are enjoying Toronto.

Greetings from Vancouver,

Richard