corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Gallio's term of office

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Antti V J Mustakallio <amustaka AT cc.helsinki.fi>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Gallio's term of office
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:20:24 +0300 (EEST)

In his "Paul: A Critical Life", Jerome Murphy-O'Connor writes (p.
19): "Theoretically it is not impossible that Gallio served the two
years, AD 50-52, because he may have been extra sortem, and officials of
this type, like legates in the imperial provinces, served at the
emperor's pleasure; their tenure was not limited to one year. In reality,
however, the question of Gallio's status is irrelevant because he did not
complete his term of office. Thus, he only served part of 50-51 or of
51-52. We know this from a note by his brother Seneca: 'When, in Achaia,
he began to feel feverish, he immediately took ship, claiming that it was
not a malady of the body but of the place' (Epistulae morales 104.1;
trans. Gummere)."

What is the link between "he did not complete his term of office"
and "he only served part of 50-51 or of 51-52"? Why the term could not
last two years? If it lasted two years, it seems to me that Gallio might
have served from July 50 to summer/autumn 51.
Am I misinterpreting something here?

Antti Mustakallio
Ph.D student
Department of Biblical Studies