corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] A NEW THREAD!!! Paul and ancient literature on leadership

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Perry L. Stepp" <plstepp AT kcu.edu>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] A NEW THREAD!!! Paul and ancient literature on leadership
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 17:39:55 -0500

A NEW THREAD!!!

In my work on the Pastorals, I have become very curious about the body of
ancient Graeco-Roman literature that was written to teach people how to be
good leaders--evidently a HUGE corpus.

A question for list members who have any kind of background in classics: if
one wants to reconstruct the ideational backdrop against which ancient
readers would have read the Pastorals, what documents would you compare the
PE to?

In other words--at least I think I'm asking the same question--what ancient
GR documents that teach about leadership would have been exceptionally
well-known, even if indirectly?

Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Biblical Studies and Theology
Kentucky Christian University

http://theophiluspunk.typepad.com (new)
http://theophiluspunk.blogspot.com (old)

One naturally assumes musicians will sound like imbeciles when they talk
about nuclear proliferation, just as politicians sound like rutting musk
oxen when they attempt to commit music. It would be irresponsible and cruel
to judge either group by their avocations.
--Tony Snow