corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Wiley's _Paul and the Gentile Women_

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Wiley's _Paul and the Gentile Women_
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:58:10 -0400

I have the book, but have not yet started it (part of my
summer reading plan). As the book was progressing, Tatha
presented some of this material to the Feminist Hermeneutics
Task Force of the Catholic Biblical Association, and her
vantage point struck me as very much in harmony with Elli
Elliott's work and what I had done in my dissertation, and
then in an essay (on Gal 3:26-28) in the EGLBS & MWBS
Proceedings (published in 1993). I assume the treatment is
more extensive in Wiley's book. I think feminist exegetes
have been looking at this issue for quite a while, but
perhaps this volume will be the one that finally breaks into
what Schuessler Fiorenza calls the "malestream."

I would be happy to participate in a discussion of it, and I
am sure I could get Tatha to join as well, if any of you are
interested. You could reply off-list (smcginn AT jcu.edu) to
let me know. SEM
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.
Professor of Biblical Studies
& Early Christianity
Department of Religious Studies
John Carroll University
20700 North Park Boulevard
University Heights, OH 44118

tel. 216-397-3087
fax: 216-397-4518

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Wiley's _Paul and the Gentile Women_, Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., 05/31/2005