corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's use of MUSTHRION

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mont Cessna" <montc AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <Corpus-Paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's use of MUSTHRION
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:58:20 -0400

Dear List,

I am trying to understand Paul’s use of the word MUSTHRION. Someone I have been conferring with directed me to Raymond Brown’s book The Semitic Background of the Term “Mystery” in the New Testament. In a recent email they also stated “The language that Paul uses is not founded in the Greco/Roman "mystery" religions of the day, but rather is understood though contemporary Semitic culture and writings.” They also included the following quote from Bruce Metzger:

"[W]ith regard to Paul himself, scholars are coming once again to acknowledge that the Apostle's prevailing set of mind was rabbinically oriented, and that his newly found Christian faith ran in molds previously formed at the feet of Gamaliel."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mont Cessna, Sr.

Harrisburg, PA

montc AT earthlink.net