corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Question on 'Paul and Judaism' by Mark Nanos

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: lejeune AT comcast.net
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Question on 'Paul and Judaism' by Mark Nanos
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:42:58 +0000

Nanos wrote:
Sorry about the length; I hope the interested reader will find it useful.
Billy:
I for one am very interested in this discussion, and I find it very useful. Thanks for taking the time.

Gallant wrote:
Moreover, Paul speaks in 11.19ff of the breaking off of branches; surely it
is not overstating the case to call this a "fall."
Billy:
It seems to me that he makes this expicit in 11.22 "indeed on the ones having-fallen, severity." Here, it is the same root as in 11.11.

Nanos:
...the covenant [of grace] with Israel is still in effect, exemplified in the remnant on behalf of the whole...

Remnant might be too strong a word for this. It seems to me that the word means "all that is left" so there is no longer a whole to represent.

Nanos:
...those of us who are not content with the replacement theology...

Billy:
No doubt by this that you mean that you are opposed to the idea that the church replaces Israel. I can see how that language is offensive. What about the idea that the remnant, rather than representing the whole, becomes (or replaces) the whole?
Is this just as offensive?

Thanks,
--
Billy LeJeune