corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] question on "Paul and Judaism" by Mark Nanos

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: lejeune AT comcast.net
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] question on "Paul and Judaism" by Mark Nanos
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:26:18 +0000

Greetings,

In an online article called Paul and Judaism, Mark Nanos argues that in Paul's Judaism, a new age has come and with it a change in the requirments for non-Jews:

"Incorporating non-Jews into the people of God in the present age as proselytes according to the traditions of the fathers is no longer halakhically warranted"

and

"In this service it does not reject Torah, but develops halakhah that articulates the appropriate way to observe Torah now, in view of ther revelation of Christ that the representatives of the nations are not to become Israelites, but to join with the Israelites in a new community adumbrating the restoration of all mankind"

My question: Now that the new age has come, are there any changes in the "way to observe Torah now" for the Jews? What are those changes if any?

OK, I have another question. Also Nanos writes

"The question to search out is not how one gains righteousness, which poses the topic in universal terms for everyone, but how one not born Jewish gains equal standing among the rightousness ones."

I know this is a short article (I lost my copy of Mystery of Romans at a baseball game before I could read it), but is Nanos saying that for Paul everyone born Jewish automatically righteous? What would Paul say to the question "How does a Jewish man become righteous?"

I think this is a great article by the way  and I learned much from it.

--
Billy LeJeune
Teacher