corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Gaius Titius Justus a.k.a. Stephanas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Doug Chaplin" <lists AT actually.me.uk>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Gaius Titius Justus a.k.a. Stephanas
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:56:35 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: corpus-paul-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:corpus-paul-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Richard Fellows

>I would like to share with you some recent thoughts on the giving of new
>names by Paul.

The biggest problem is that Paul gives no hint that he renames anyone. And
from Jesus the only secure example of a new name is Cephas. Nowhere does
Boanerges, if it was a name catch on. One might expect some baptismal
theology if this was a common practice of Paul's or the NT church generally.

<Snip>

>But if our hypothesis is correct, all
>these people were absent from Corinth at the time, and there may have been
>NO wealthy believers present.

So why, exactly does Paul write to deal with the problems caused by the
wealthy, and why is it the "strong" (which certainly correlates with
wealthy) who seem to be the primary implied readers? They seem to be in his
sights as those who took people to court to display the forensic rhetoric,
and who could afford large dinner parties with the conspicuous consumption
of meat.

Doug Chaplin