corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Number of characters P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Ron Price <ron.price AT virgin.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul elist <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Number of characters P46
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:33:30 +0000

David Inglis wrote:

> According to my calculations, the number of characters in each of Paul's
> epistles in P46 is less than the modern 'standard' number. Typically, each
> epistle in P46 has around 5% fewer characters than modern copies, although,
> notably, Hebrews is only 3% smaller. Does anyone have any information on
> this? In particular:
>
> 1) How much of this is due to the use of nomina sacra and other
> abbreviations?

David,

I wrote a program a few years ago to test what difference the usual nomina
sacra would make if used in the NA27 text. The results I have readily
available are:

Philippians, 4.6% reduction in number of letters
Colossians, 3.1% reduction
Hebrews, 1.2% reduction.

It would be fairly easy to get the other Pauline results. If you want
them, let me know off-list.

Ron Price

Derbyshire, UK