corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] What was the scribe of P46 trying to do?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David @ Comcast" <davidinglis2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] What was the scribe of P46 trying to do?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:11:56 -0800

Listers,

I have spent the last several weeks counting the number of characters on
every extant line of P46, and as a result I now believe I have a pretty good
picture of what the scribe was doing - and it's much more complex than I
have seen stated anywhere. For example, the statement by David Trobisch on
p16 of "Paul's Letter Collection" that the scribe: "started to write more
characters in each line and gradually increased the 26 lines per page in the
first half of the codex to 28, then to 30, and in the end to 32 lines per
page" is very misleadingly simplistic.

For example:

1) In the first half of the codex the number of lines per page actually
varies from 24 to 30, averaging around 27.
2) In the second half the number of lines per page varies from 22 to 32,
but with only 5 pages having 32 lines.
3) Most of the increase in lines per page occurs roughly 3/4 of the way
through the codex, during the writing of Ephesians.
4) The average number of characters per line varies from 22.5 (on leaf 49v)
to 36.7 (on leaf 84r).

If anyone is interested in discussing my thoughts over these and other
interesting findings, please let me know either on or off list. Also, if
anyone can suggest another forum where this could / should be discussed
please let me know that too.

David Inglis
davidinglis2 AT comcast.net
3538 O'Connor Drive