corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Stichoi in P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David @ Comcast" <davidinglis2 AT comcast.net>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Stichoi in P46
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:03:09 -0800

Dave Hindley wrote:

> Stichoi were, I thought, based on a set number of syllables, not lines.

Dave,

Thank you for this information (and the URL of Bob Waltz' page on the
subject). You are quite possibly right that stichoi only provide
approximate line counts. However, the table displayed by Bob Waltz in the
page you reference nevertheless raises some interesting issues regarding the
stichoi in P46:

1) Why are the stichoi for Romans, Hebrews, and 2 Cor (600, which isn't
shown in Bob's table) multiples of 100, while the rest are not?
2) Why are the stichoi for Eph and Gal the 'wrong way round'? (basically,
why is the value for Gal given as 375 (it should be less than the 316 given
for Eph).

These two points both still suggest to me that the stichoi in P46 did not
originate with the scribe of P46.

Interestingly, dividing the 'common' stichoi values by the number of
characters in each of the Paulines epistles gives a remarkably constant
result: between 37.1 and 38.6 characters per stichoi for all the Epistles
except 2 Tim (34.1) and Phlm (41.4). This suggests to me that stichoi (for
the Paulines epistles at least) were in fact generally tied to a fairly
standard line length (of around 38 characters) rather than a particular
number of syllables.

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT comcast.net
3538 O'Connor Drive