corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Gal 5:12

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Gal 5:12
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:30:37 EST

<<"Necessary"? Never. I believe it is probable, however. J. Munck argued that they
were Christian Gentiles, with which some others have agreed (eg Gaston, if I
remember right).
<snip>
Why do you think that they are not Jewish?>>
    I don't necessarily think they were not Jewish, I was just wondering how iron-clad was the assumption that they were.  In every multi-ethnic society there are always outsiders to an ethnic group that tries to out-do the ethnics at being themselves.  I can see the early church attracting such people, those who wished to be more "Jewish" than the Jews.  Sometimes these people can be quite pesky.  I don't argue that the Judaizers of Galatians were rather pesky Gentile over-achievers, but I want to keep the option open if such a reading is possible.  I am not sure this reading would spoil any of the irony of Galatians.  It might give it a bit of an (ironic) twist.
Jim Miller