corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's use of Psalm 44:22

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: criticaltom AT juno.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's use of Psalm 44:22
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:57:25 -0400

Dear List:

I would love to know what any of you make of Paul's quotation of Psalm
44:22 (44:23 HB) in Romans 8:36: "As it is written, 'For your sake we
are being killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep to be
slaughtered'" (NRSV).

My point is that Psalm 44 is a protest directed to/at God, but Paul's use
seems very positive. In fact, I'd say that he uses it support the idea
of "vindication through suffering." One other thing, the Psalm has been
reinterpreted in a post-holocaust vein (obviously). All responses are
appreciated.

Tom Edmondson
Student, Candler School of Theology

"What I know, the public does not approve, and what it approves, I know
to be error" - Copernicus.

"The Reformation did not do away with the medieval Papacy and all of its
predecessors, it merely democratized it and made everyone Pope" - Clark
Carlton.