corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and Politics

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul and Politics
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:40:51 -0500

James,
Robert Jewett gave a paper on the topic of Politics in Romans at the SNTS
this summer. I think this dynamic is an element of his forthcoming Hermeneia
commentary on Romans. Perhaps you can contact him and see if this paper or
any others are published or available for your review.

I think Horsley's Jesus and Empire has some relevant reflections on Paul,
and I would expect also in his commentary on 1 Corinthians.

Although not about Paul but rather Revelation, Steve Friesen's Imperial
Cults and the Apocalypse of John: Reading Revelation in the Ruins, Oxford,
1998, has a wealth of information pertinent to a study of the subject, and
great bibliography for accessing the classical studies on the topic of Roman
and Greek politics.

Please forgive my asking, but I am curious to know whether you are working
on and essay reviewing the literature, or a new project for which you seek
to gather relevant material.

Regards,
Mark
--