corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just opentoconverts?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bigpond Dial-up <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just opentoconverts?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:44:05 +1000

Jeff,
I can't speak for others but the reason I am awkward about using the word 'mission' in connection with the theme we are discussing is that, in the Pauline context, the notion of being 'sent' is not relevant to Paul's converts generally. Believers were expected to seek to win adherents but, with the exception of various 'apostles', 'brothers', 'co-workers', etc., they were not actually 'sent/commissioned' to do so. Hence, throughout my recent work I have used 'mission' in connection with Paul and his colleagues and 'mission-commitment' in connection with Paul's converts generally.
Kind regards,
John

Dr. John P. Dickson
Sydney, Australia