corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: LeeEdgarTyler AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:35:17 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2003 10:45:46 AM Central Standard Time, amustaka AT cc.helsinki.fi writes:

I am responsible for the paralyzing subject line, so I felt necessary to
act. Sorry Jim and all the native speakers! For me writing English is not
exactly daily bread so even gross solecisms like that may not necessarily
stick out like a sore thumb always. I add my summary to this email so that
it can be the base for future conversation. Now the discussion may
continue lithely.

Antti Mustakallio

I wish I could function as well in a second language as you do in English.  One of my Serbian friends says I speak like Jesse James--but he pronounces it Yessee Yaymes.

Why does Leppä feel that so many of these Pauline expressions could not be transmitted through an oral tradition?  I don't dispute his conclusion, because I think that Luke's use of terms like AFORIZW would argue for his familiarity with Pauline thought and that the most likely way for Luke to achieve this familiarity would be reading the text.  But I cannot see why these things could not have been transmitted orally as well.

Ed Tyler

  • Re: [Corpus-Paul] Did Luke know Paul's letters?, LeeEdgarTyler, 07/24/2003