corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Martin on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: MillerJimE AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Martin on Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:12:10 EDT

Don Garlington writes:
<< (2) By way of qualification, Martin too quickly
dismisses any allusion to Gen 1:27: "male and female
he created them." >>

I also have read Martin's JBL article. I agree that Martin too quickly
dismisses the allusion to Genesis 1:27 in Galatians 3:28. I would like to
add
two points. First, the switch from "or" (oude) to "and" (kai) in Gal 3:28 is
significant and cannot be dismissed lightly. Second, I do not see a
circumcision interpretation based on Genesis 17 as exclusive of a reading
based on
Genesis 1:27. Why must it be either/or? If it must be either/or, I would go
with
Genesis 1:27 because the phrase seems extremely evocative. But I don't find
the two readings exclusive of each other. Within the covenant of
circumcision, which is gender-specific, is the ultimate gender-specificity in
the creation
account. The two can be treated together.
Also, there was a very strong current in early Christianity which sought
to bypass, if not defy gender. Why wouldn't Galatians 3:28 be an early part
of that current?
Jim Miller

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Martin on Galatians, MillerJimE, 07/09/2003