corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Correction and Clarification

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Given, Mark Douglas" <mdg421f AT smsu.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Correction and Clarification
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:14:58 -0500

Mark,
You wrote to Don:

> Note that nowhere in Gal 4:8-10, even in 8-20 is Law mentioned as
> at issue.

The problem for me is that in the preceding verses, 4:1-7, the Law IS
the issue, and in those verses Paul equates being under the Law with
being slaves to the stoicheia (cf. v. 9):

"So with us; when we were children, we were slaves to the stoicheia of
the universe. But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son,
born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the
law, so that we might receive adoption as sons" (vv. 3-5).

And when 8-10 are read with 1-7, it seems the observance of days,
months, seasons and years is most clearly an allusion to Law observance.
I put it that way because it does seem likely to me that he is also
hinting that this would be no different than returning to a pagan
calendar as discussed in Don's previous posts.

Mark

Mark D. Given
Associate Professor
Department of Religious Studies