corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Introduction to Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Matthew Baldwin <baldwin AT apocryphum.com>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Introduction to Paul
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:31:47 -0400

Dear Perry:

You should probably check out the newish book by Ben Witherington III. It
does not meet your criteria e. and f. quite as well as you'd like; you'd
have to define c. for me to be sure about that; but it has a., b., d., all
right.

Personally, I think that Calvin Roetzel's books worked very well for my
class on Paul from this past semester and I would use them again. Either of
those would meet all your criteria, except maybe one. It depends upon how
d. you gotta be. Roetzel is respectful but not conservative.

Best,

Matthew Baldwin
Mars Hill College
Mars Hill, NC

> From: Perry L Stepp <plstepp AT juno.com>
> Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Introduction to Paul

> Hello, all. I'm teaching a 1000-level class this fall on Acts and the
> epistles--it's part 2 of an NT intro, the first part being Jesus and the
> gospels, which I'm NOT teaching.
>
> Anyway: I've chosen most of my materials, but I'm still looking for some
> kind of introduction to Paul (or an introduction to the early church,
> even) that I can have my students write a critical evaluation of.
>
> It needs to be a. NOT a commentary, b. in print, c. cheap, d. evangelical
> to conservative/centrist in approach, e. short, and f. simple enough for
> hyper-hormonal eighteen- and nineteen-year-olds to read and evaluate.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Perry L. Stepp, Ph.D.
>
> Associate Professor, Biblical Studies, Kentucky Christian College

  • [Corpus-Paul] Re: Introduction to Paul, Matthew Baldwin, 06/27/2003