corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] RE: The construction of P46

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David ATTBI" <davidinglis2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] RE: The construction of P46
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 20:32:56 -0700

I'm going to try one more time. Can anyone answer the questions below? If
not, can anyone let me know where I can get hold of a facsimile of P46 so
that I can take some measurements myself?

It is generally known that the extant portions of P46 all came from a single
quire. However, I haven't seen anything that states whether the leaves were
trimmed or not. To explain: If you take a number of sheets (papyrus,
parchment, paper) and fold them in the middle to form a quire, then the
edges of the inner leaves will protrude past those of the outer leaves. You
can either leave the quire like that, or trim the edges so that they all
align, thus making the inner leaves slightly smaller than the outer ones.
Can anyone tell me whether the leaves of P46 were trimmed like this, and if
so, what is the difference in size from outer to inner (1% smaller, 5%
smaller, ... ?)

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT attbi.com
3538 O'Connor Drive