corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Questions on Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Vince Endris" <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Questions on Galatians
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:50:24 -0400

Dear Pauline Corpus:

I have a couple of questions about Paul's visit to Jerusalem in Gal. 2.

1. I realize that not everyone agrees that this meeting is the same as the meeting in Acts 15, however, the first part of my question will be the same regardless. Does Acts 15's use of "whatever has been strangled" in verse 20 and 29 indicate a dietary restriction for the gentiles? If so, this must be something Paul was unaware of when he claimed that "They only asked that we remember the poor" (Gal. 2:10). Does it seem likely that Peter ate with the Gentiles until the message arrived from "certain individuals from James" with the "new" rules?

2. I just do not understand 2:14:
"If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?" What is he trying to say? Is he telling Peter that if he can not even live like a Jew, even though he was born one, how can he ask Gentiles to do the same?

Thank you for your input.
Vince Endris