corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ecclesiology in the Pastorals & the DSS

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D." <smcginn AT jcu.edu>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Ecclesiology in the Pastorals & the DSS
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 08:53:32 -0400

I find this equation of egalitarian with "unstructured" ubiquitous, and highly problematic. To say that there is reciprocity in a leadership structure and/or that the leadership structure is egalitarian (i.e., that anyone with the gifts for a task is permitted to do it, rather than excluding people on grounds of race, sex, class, etc.) is not the same thing as saying there is NO leadership structure. With the possible exception of Philippi, I see the Pauline churches exhibiting this kind of leadership that is confirmed by and accountable to the community. Sheila McGinn

Jeff Peterson wrote:
Where the argument can be faulted is in its characterization of the Pauline churches as unstructured and egalitarian.