corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Did Trobisch mis-calculate how much of P46 is missing?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David ATTBI" <davidinglis2 AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Did Trobisch mis-calculate how much of P46 is missing?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:20:53 -0800

In my research on P46 I keep coming up with the same two numbers:

P46 originally contained 104 leaves
The extant portion of P46 is 86 leaves.

If these numbers are correct, then (104 - 86) = 18 leaves (9 sheets of
papyrus) are missing. So, why does Trobisch (Paul's Letter Collection, P16)
record that there are only 7 missing leaves? Even if he really means 7
missing *sheets*, then he appears to have got the number wrong. What is
happening here?

Is it possible that if you include the fragments containing portions of 1
Thes 5 then only 7 sheets are missing, but that if you exclude these
fragments then 9 sheets are 'missing'? A related question: What are the
lowest and highest page numbers still distinguishable on P46, and what text
is on these pages?

Dave Inglis
davidinglis2 AT attbi.com
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA

  • [Corpus-Paul] Did Trobisch mis-calculate how much of P46 is missing?, David ATTBI, 03/12/2003