corpus-paul - [corpus-paul] Letter writing in the ancient world

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [corpus-paul] Letter writing in the ancient world
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 05:09:49 EST

I am currently looking into the opening sections of each of Paul's letters,
particularly focussing in on his use of his apostleship in them. As I have
begun to do this, I have realised how little I know about letter writing
conventions of the Greco-Roman world (if one can speak of such a thing). I
have my own copy of Stanley Stowers' helpful book on the subject, but have
little else. Does anyone have any suggestions of other recent works that I
could consult that might give me some ideas as to what I should be looking
out for in Paul's letters? I would also appreciate any bibliography that
specifically relates Paul's letters to other relatively contemporary ones. I
did come across a very interesting reference in Witherington's commentary on
Philippians from the Irish Biblical Studies journal, but have had no success
in trying to track down a copy of it anywhere. It's only a relatively short
article, and so if anyone had access to it and a scanner I would be most
appreciative. I can't put my hands on the title atm, but will send it to the
list a little later.

Regards,
Fred Rich.

Ph.D. Student,