corpus-paul - Re: new thesis request for info

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edward Moore <proteus28 AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: new thesis request for info
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 03:48:49 -0500

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:30:17 -0600 Jeff Peterson
<peterson AT austingrad.edu> writes:

> I would think this a difficult thesis to sustain, on at least two
> ground that occur right off: (1) The ancients had no concept of
> alcohol addiction as a disease; the sort of people therapeutically
> minded moderns term "suffering with alcoholism" they called
> "drunks."
> (2) Paul is quite clear that "drunks" (METHUSOI) will not inherit
> the
> kingdom of God (1 Cor 6:9-10), and he is equally clear that he
> expects to (e.g., Phil 1:23).

I think it really depends upon the historical thrust of the thesis ... If
METHUSOS is equated with AGNWSIA, then proto-Gnosticism is brought into
play, and Paul's 'identity' as a 'Gnostic initiate' (i.e., one who is
struggling with 'wakefulness to truth' over the 'drunkenness of material
existence,' etc.) takes center stage and surely some interesting threads
may be pulled in that regard, with scholarly valuable rhythms resulting
... (cf. TDNT 4.545).

In any case, the existentialism of Paul (as elucidated by Bultmann,
MacQuarrie, etc., including myself) is perhaps a clue to his love of the
grape, as it were ... Remember, Jean-Paul Sartre, the seminal figure of
existentialism, was rumored to have written the preface to his monumental
tome _Being and Nothingness_ while quite drunk ...

I consider the thesis to be quite daring. Patrick Emmet has attained my
interest. I look forward to hearing more.

Regards,

Edward

Edward Moore, S.T.L., D.D. (candidate)
St. Elias Orthodox Theological Seminary
www.orthodoxtheology.org
Email. proteus28 AT juno.com Fax. 1-810-454-1893

Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
www.utm.edu/research/iep/htm

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com