corpus-paul - Re: Tensions in Rome

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Tensions in Rome
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:11:24 -0500

Dear Gary,

In a speculative reconstruction of Peter’s post Acts movements – or his
ministry during the time that Acts concentrates on Paul – I have proposed
that Peter spent significant time in Rome. Roman Catholic tradition is
that Peter was in Rome over a period of 25 years, on and off, and I
suspect that they are probably close to the mark.

The rioting in Rome due to the preaching of Chrestus, I suspect, was
largely due to Peter’s presence in Rome. As the chief instigator – though
it was the anti-Christian Jews that did the rioting – Peter was probably
sought after by the Roman authorities and returned to Jerusalem in 48 to
avoid arrest. Up until this time Peter had restricted his activities to
the Jewish population. Following the Jerusalem council in 49 and unable to
return to Rome (also the Jews had been expelled from Rome) I believe Peter
led the mission to northern Asia Minor – i.e. those places (bar Asia) to
whom he addressed his first epistle. Here, of course, his ministry was not
solely but certainly much more Gentile orientated.

Claudius died in October of 54 and this allowed Peter to return to Rome.
He did this early in 55, having probably wintered in Asia (with his old
mate, Paul) and after spending some weeks in Corinth on his way through
(hence the need for 1 Corinthians later that year). On reaching Rome he
was aided in his mission, now broadened to include Gentiles, by some of
Paul’s helpers (e.g. Prisca and Aquila [Rom 16:3] – who may have been
converted in Rome under Peter’s ministry in the first place [Acts
18:1-2]). This new thrust raised the Jew/Gentile issues which had not
previously been a problem in Rome. By 57 the tensions were such that Peter
visited Paul (in Corinth at the time) and, respecting his understanding of
the Gentiles inclusion, asked him to write to the believers in Rome
addressing those very things.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith
Adelaide