corpus-paul - "New perspective" - origin of expression

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jürg Buchegger <j.buchegger AT datacomm.ch>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "New perspective" - origin of expression
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:59:16 +0200

The origin of the now fameous expression "new perspective on Paul" is
normally credited to Dunns 1982 lecture (=1983 article). While researching
for my dissertation I think I came across the note somewhere, that Sanders
himself has already used the expression "new perspective"! This is what I
mention in one of my footnotes, but without giving detailed bibliographical
data (just referring to his "Paul and Palestinian Judaism"; the german
translation of that work, which has an extra foreword (p. ix-xiv)
interacting with some of the early critics, but this is published after Dunn
in 1985; Sanders ANRW-article on "Jesus, Paul and Judaism" from 1982 and to
his "Paul, the Law and the Jewish People" (1983). Trying now to verify what
I wrote (!), I honestly can't find the place where Sanders would already
talk of "new perspective". Of course this could all be my fault :-), but why
was I so sure that Sanders already used the expression? (I wrote this
section of my Dissertation about 2 years ago)
Can anybody help me with this? Dunn's article ("The New Perspective on
Paul") was originally published in BJRL 65, 1983, 95-122, but was reprinted
WITH ADDITIONAL FOOTNOTES in his "Jesus, Paul and the Law" (1990). Does
anybody have easy access to that "newer edition" of the article and could
find out, whether Dunn mentions something there about the origin of the
expression?
Thanks for any help with this.

Jürg Buchegger
(Pfr. Dr.theol. - senior pastor EFC Buchs, Switzerland)