corpus-paul - Re: The blood of the covenant

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The blood of the covenant
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:05:24 +0100

Dear Bob,

Many thanks for your letter which contains several points which need careful
clarification.

1. The sucking of the infant's blood from the circumcision wound by the
mohel, who immediately spat it out, never had any sacramental significance.
The Talmud (Shabbat 133b) carefully defines it as a medical practice
intended for the health of the child; later, modern suction instruments
were substituted without the slightest objection from religious authorities.
The process may be compared with the sucking of venom from a snake-bite.
The giving of wine to the infant again has no sacramental significance
(being accompanied by no ritual blessing). It is merely a form of comfort
and anaesthetic for the child. If it is not done, the circumcision is in no
way invalidated.
2. As I wrote in my book THE SACRED EXECUTIONER, Judaism contains certain
peripheral relics of blood-superstitions and blood-sacraments. This was
inevitable in a religion which was striving to depart from the vast
blood-superstitions central in ancient pagan religion. But these relics are
very unimportant in Judaism, and can easily be exaggerated, as they are by
Hoffman.
3. The drinking of wine at Passover has no symbolic blood-significance. It
is similar to the drinking of wine at the Kiddush of every other Jewish
festival and Sabbath: it expresses the joy of the festival, in accordance
with the biblical dictum: 'Wine maketh glad the heart of man.'
4. I have argued in THE SACRED EXECUTIONER, from an anthropological
viewpoint, that Christianity is the religion which reinstated the
blood-centrality which Judaism had almost completely banished.

With best regards,

Hyam

Dr.Hyam Maccoby
Research Professor