corpus-paul - Re: More blood/Maccoby

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More blood/Maccoby
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:36:18 -0700 (PDT)

Troels Hansen wrote:

> I find it very, very hard to believe that Paul
> could have been the originator of anything as
> new as the Eucharistic words.

I agree. As a general rule of thumb, I've found it a
profitable approach to understand Paul's various ideas
as Jewish in origin, some of which have a Hellenistic
spin put on them (as with the eucharist in I Cor 11),
others of which have Hellenistic elements added to
them (as Rom 7:7-13 is complemented by 7:14-25; the
"I" argument in the first appeals to Adam and the
Genesis story; the "I" argument in the second calls to
mind Medea from Euripedes).

> Now, the language of Our Lord was Aramaic, not
> Greek, and so anything He might have said on the
> evening of The Last Supper is known - if at all -
> through translation. And so my question still stands
> - even if answering it might mean guesswork: Could
> Ben-Chorin be right?

"Our Lord"? Yours, maybe. Anyway, I do agree with you
here, which is why I brought up the Aramaic term,
bisra, which I believe can refer to either "flesh" or
"body". But our resident Aramaic expert Jack Kilmon
may see fit to correct me here.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com