corpus-paul - 2 Cor 12:1-7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 2 Cor 12:1-7
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:55:43 -0400

Eric Zuesse wrote regarding what Paul wrote in 2 Cor 1-7

> He is here alternating between referring to himself in the first person and
> in the third person, using the third person "he" as the person who had these
> visions that might have been either delusional or even made up, and the
> first person "I" as the person who is so modest that he will not brag about
> having had that experience.

What evidence (scientific, scholarly, or otherwise) is there for the view
that Paul is here referring to himself in the third person? And if Paul
*is* referring to himself, does not the "fourteen years ago" give us an
important datum? Or can we simply not assume any relationship between the
events of "fourteen years ago" and the Damascus road experience?

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA

  • 2 Cor 12:1-7, David Inglis, 08/31/2002