corpus-paul - Re: [corpus-paul]: rules of evidence

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [corpus-paul]: rules of evidence
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:30:25 -0700

Eric Zuesse wrote:

I shall not comment upon Mark's other objections, because they are generally
> of the same nature: claiming that it is acceptable to reconstruct the
beginnings of Christianity on the basis of assumptions about Christian
> history, before one makes assumptions about the order in which the
documentary evidence itself was generated. I do not deny that Mark's
viewpoint is respectable among scholars; but I do assert that it is *not*
> respectable among scientists.

Which biblical scholars, exactly are you referring to here?? This sweeping statement seems to maybe describe ONLY the most conservative of biblical scholarship. No one I read
reconstruct[s] the
beginnings of Christianity on the basis of assumptions about Christian
history.

I wonder how Crossan, or Theissen or Funk or Mack (and the list could go on and on) would respond to being told that they are reconstructing the beginnings of Xnty on the basis of assumptions about Xn history.

This is an example where I think you risk undermining your whole proposal because you over state your case and get caught up in your own rhetoric.
--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS