corpus-paul - Re: Did Jesus or angels speak to Paul?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Did Jesus or angels speak to Paul?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:31:09 -0700

Dave Inglis wrote...
if Paul's revelations were generated entirely
in his own head, then you would expect them to be independent of the
revelations generated in other people's heads.

Not necessarily. Common mythic backgrounds could operate as a good enough explanation for similarities - or if you were a Jungian - common arch-types - in any event, there are many models for what is "really" going on.

(As an aside - I don't think anything is purely generated by an autonomous self - in other words, NOTHING is ever generated "entirely " in someone's mind - we are all too connected in a mutually dependant set of linguistic systems for that to ever be the case.)

I have nothing against metaphysical speculation as such - but it seems more at home in a philosophical or theological discussion. The only people who would participate if such a set of metaphysical speculations were made central would be those who agree, and the conversation would become a confessional exercise. Also those who disagree would pipe in - and the the whole discussion would deteriorate into a debate along confessional lines. I think the more inclusive type of conversation currently enjoyed is far more interesting.

I guess its like I said in my first post - its all a matter of context. The scholarly world of the university is a different context from the scholarly world of the seminary, and both are different from the world of the church, which is different from the world of the "street".

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS