corpus-paul - Re: Eating with gentiles

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Eating with gentiles
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:10:18 -0700

Thank you, Hyam, for this clear response which is in accord with what I have
understood from Jewish friends.

You wrote
>>I think you are suggesting that of all the days of the year, the day on
which Peter visited Antioch happened to be the day of Passover, and that
therefore the meal was a Passover meal, which Peter would not ordinarily
share with uncircumcised people.

Response:
I was thinking about the liturgical practice of the Eucharist. The Eucharist
is a Passover feast in an image. The sacrifice of the Lamb of God is once
for all. For this reason the Passover does not need to be in Jerusalem since
the remembrance of it is for all. Christians would celebrate this every
week, perhaps as part of a meal every day. If Peter was taking part in this
liturgical act with the uncircumcised, then he had cause to be concerned
about disputation with Jews whether Christ believers or not. In this case
(Galatians 2:12), being early in the history of the sect, these Jews from
James would be believers in Christ. If their doctrine had not yet recognized
the effective circumcision of gentiles in the sacrifice of Christ
(Colossians 2:11), Peter might well withdraw either out of liturgical
uncertainty or out of concern for disputes with those who were not yet
believers in Christ. I think the former is likely. Even today there are
those Christians who read the texts with a closed Eucharistic table in mind.
(No one may participate who is not recognized as a believer, the invisible
equivalent of circumcision).

I am very glad to have heard your view on this and would like to know
further if any have considered the growth of doctrine around the Eucharist
to be relevant to this dispute.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +