corpus-paul - Re: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:39:40 +0100

Eric Zuesse wrote:

>Peter had temporized in the argument sufficiently to have been able to sit
down peaceably to lunch or dinner with those uncircumcised men, ignoring
that this was in violation of the principle enunciated in Exodus 12:48
prohibiting such ceremonial dining with non-circumcised men. >

This is totally wrong. Exodus 12:48 refers to only one meal in the year,
the Passover meal, in which uncircumcised men are forbidden to partake.
Circumcised Jews may share meals with Gentiles at any other meal, provided
that they do not eat any forbidden kind of food that may happen to be on the
table. A good example of this is the case of Daniel, who shared meals with
Gentiles but confined himself to vegetarian food(Daniel 1).

This point is very relevant to the case of Peter at Antioch. When he shared
meals with uncircumcised men he was not breaking any Jewish law, so when he
broke away from the table it was not because he had suddenly reverted from
law-breaking to law-keeping. It must have been because he realised that
Paul was contravening the agreement reached at the Jerusalem Council and
that it was time to make a final break with Paul. I have argued this in
full in THE MYTHMAKER. There is no reason whatever to think that James
changed his mind about the conclusions reached at the Jerusalem Council, but
every reason to think that Paul did not abide by these conclusions.

Hyam Maccoby

_________

Dr.Hyam Maccoby
Research Professor