corpus-paul - Re: Paul and Barnabas

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "cfjacks" <cfjacks AT attbi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and Barnabas
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:49:30 -0400

I found this posting most interesting:

----- Original Message -----
From: Kym Smith <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 2:43 AM
Subject: [corpus-paul] Paul and Barnabas

> All,
>
> I am not sure that this will cause any discussion, but an interesting side
> to the life of Paul is his relationship with Barnabas. it would seem that
> for some considerable time, Paul (Saul) was subordinate to Barnabas.

For I find you quite correct in observing that this is "an interesting side
to the life of Paul" and
your details about the "change in relationship" as presented by the Book of
Acts is marked and worth noting, perhaps even worth puzzling over. So
thanks for raising these points.

But my preliminary response is simply to note that while these details are
to be found in Acts, one must raise the question about the historical
accuracy of an account by an author who has his own agenda, in drawing all
the early Christian leaders under one umbrella. By which I am not trying to
say that the author of Acts is incorrect but rather to make the point that
there is a prior question to the one you raised.

Thus, I share with you an interest in looking forward to seeing what others
might have to say about this connection.

Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
Professor of Religion (Emeritus)
Pikeville College
Pikeville, KY

(... but now happily retired back home in the metro Atlanta area!)