corpus-paul - Rom 16:17-20 and Corinth

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: rfellows AT intergate.ca
  • To: <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Rom 16:17-20 and Corinth
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:34:22 -0700

In Romans 16:3-16 Paul sends greetings to his friends in Rome. He then,
rather suddenly, gives a warning about some opponents:

"I urge you, brothers, to keep an eye on those who cause dissensions and
offenses, in opposition to the teaching that you have learned; avoid them.
For such people do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by
smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded. For
while your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, I want you
to be wise in what is good and guileless in what is evil. The God of peace
will shortly crush Satan under your feet." (Rom 16:17-20)

Who are these opponents, and why does Paul introduce them at this point in
the text? It seems to me that the opponents, like the friends who are
greeted, are Jewish Romans who had left Rome on the command of Claudius.
After the succession of Nero the Roman Jewish Christians residing in Corinth
could return home to Rome. In Romans 16 Paul greeted those of whom he
approved, and warns the readers about those of whom he disapproved.

A detailed examination of the passage confirms that these opponents are the
same people whom Paul attacks throughout the Corinthian correspondence. (See
1 Cor 1:11ff; 11:18-19; 2 Cor 12:20; 1 Cor 5:9-13; 2 Cor 6:14; 1 Cor 5;
6:12-20; 11:21; 2 Cor 12:21; 1 Cor 1:17; 2:1 2 Cor 11:6; 7:2; 11:3; 11:13-15;
2 Cor 11:22). Also note that it was probably only the high status Roman Jews
who were expelled from Rome. Paul's opponents in the Corinthian letters were
high status Jews, so that fits too.

Some of these opponents may have become Christians before they left Rome, and
may have traced their faith to Peter. This would neatly explain the existence
of the 'Peter' party in Corinth.

If the opponents were, indeed, peers of Prisca and Aquila, it should come as
no surprise that they were also mobile. I believe that the opponents left
Corinth (2 Cor 3:1) and went to another part of Achaia, which is the target
audience of 2 Cor 10-13.

All this hypothesis is important, I think, because it confirms that the same
group of opponents are in view throughout both Corinthian letters. It also
confirms that Rom 16 was sent to Rome, and that it was probably written
shortly after the death of Claudius.

Comments, anyone?

Richard Fellows

  • Rom 16:17-20 and Corinth, rfellows, 06/15/2002