corpus-paul - Surveys of Judaism

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Cc: kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu (Robert Kraft)
  • Subject: Surveys of Judaism
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:05:19 -0400 (EDT)

One of the best surveys of Judaism of which I am aware for introductory
purposes seems virtually unknown, perhaps because of its odd publication
history (what is a nice Jewish author like this doing in a conservative
protestant publishing house?):

Sigal, Phillip
Judaism : the evolution of a faith / by Phillip Sigal ; revised and edited
by Lillian Sigal.
Grand Rapids, Mich. : W.B. Eerdmans, c1988. xxii, 326 p.

Lillian Sigal, Phillip's widow, lives in the Philadelphia area and attends
events here at the University from time to time. My understanding is that
she was considering a new revision of the text, but I have no current
information. The book is worth checking out -- from his vantage point as a
Rabbi, Phillip wrote rather widely on Jewish history and kept up with the
scholarship in ways that the older standard works cannot reflect. And
Lillian has added some observations on women in Judaism, if I remember
correctly (I apparently lent my copy out, or misshelved it ...). I hope
she gives it at least one more update, for those of us who can make use of
readable reliable surveys.

Bob

kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu

  • Surveys of Judaism, Robert Kraft, 06/14/2002