corpus-paul - Re: Paul's persecution of the Church

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Vince Endris" <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's persecution of the Church
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:31:40 -0400

Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D. wrote:

So I would suggest that the evidence on this issue does not suggest >Paul was at "dispute with the Jerusalem Church because they
wanted to follow Torah," but that, although he observed Torah, he (and
they?; cf. 2:1-10) was (were) at dispute with the prevailing Jewish
authorities outside of this coalition of Jesus-believers about how the
Gentile members of these groups were to be (re)identified.

Dr. Nanos,

Thank you for your response. However, my question is, what was Paul's dispute with the Jerusalem Church before his "conversion" and what was his dispute with them afterwards?

His dispute with them before could not have been over their policy of converting Gentiles since they did not accept Gentiles without circumcision until the Jerusalem council. As I noted previously, many writers seem to suggest that Paul's dispute previously was because of the Church's neglect for the Torah. However, this cannot be so since it is precisely their observance of the Torah which causes the dispute after his "conversion."

In short, it seems that two distinct pictures of the Jerusalem Church are being painted.

Hope my question makes sense.

Vince Endris