corpus-paul - RE: [corpus-Paul] Commentaries

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Pastor Martin Eldred" <graced AT pobox.mtaonline.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [corpus-Paul] Commentaries
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:20:56 -0800

Noel:

For what it's worth, here's my suggestions on some of your requests.

I feel that Betz' "Galatians" (Hermeneia Series, Fortress, Philadelphia,
1979) is still the Greek commentary that should not be ignored, although
F.F. Bruce is no slouch either.

For Romans, I would suggest Kaesemann's "Commentary on Romans" (English
trans., Eerdmans, 1980); Peter Stulmacher's "Paul's Letter to the Romans",
English trans., 1994 Westminster/John Knox); although for a more
"conservative", non-German approach, I like James Dunn's Word Biblical
Commentary volumes "Romans 1-8 (vol 38a)" and "Romans -9-16" (vol. 38b)
(Word, 1988).

II Corinthians: You can't beat Victor Paul Furnish's "II Corinthians" (The
Anchor Bible, vol. 32a, 1984). It's also worth checking Bultmann's classic
"The Second Letter to the Corinthians" (engl. trans.: Augsburg, Minneapolis,
1984).

I Corinthians: Hans Conzelmann, "I Corinthians" (Hermenia Series, Fortress,
1975), still solid.

That's some of my suggestions. My picks probably show my Lutheran roots
pretty clearly, but what can I say? I am glad that you posed this
question, it will be interesting to see others' suggestions.

Happy Hunting,
Rev. Martin W. Eldred
Joy Lutheran Church
Eagle River, Alaska